Val can’t handle cream soups, her lactose tolerance stops at cheese. I was craving tomato soup (particularly tomato bisque), and having only made tortilla soup thought I’d give it a try and make a creamy tomato soup. So, borrowing a bit from this vegan yum yum recipe for pasta, we substituted cashews for cream to make this delicious concoction.
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp of butter (or buttery spread)
- 1 heaping tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup white wine
- about 15 tomatoes on the vine, cored and deseeded and sliced
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 3 or 4 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 unsalted cashews (super finely grounded)
- 2 heaping tbsp of fresh thyme, minced
- salt and coarse ground pepper to taste
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, and dried oregano and cook until the shallots are tender (about 3-5 mins). Add the wine and bring to a boil. Cook until the wine reduces. Add the tomatoes, veggie stock, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and cook until tomatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the ground cashews. Using an immersion blender (or blender, or food processor), blend to a fairly smooth texture. Add the fresh thyme, salt, and pepper (to your liking). Serve.
This tomato soup enjoys being paired with a grilled cheese sandwich made of fresh rye, cheddar cheese, and smoked gouda. It will bring you much joy and happiness to partner it with a grilled cheese sandwich (any kind will do, but I recommend using rye or challah). For those who do not eat dairy, just know this soup is very forgiving and will bring love to even those who don’t eat it paired with grilled cheese.