We were a little late in eating our New Year’s Day black-eyed peas this year, but we remedied that for dinner last night; adding them to our soup made for a delicious and warming meal on a cold January night. Below are the ingredients and the recipe and you can watch us make it in this quick, time-lapse video here.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (we used chipotle infused)
- 2-3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 carrot small diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 3 medium/smallish sweet potatoes large diced
- 4 oz (2/3 a 6 oz can) tomato paste
- 1/2 jar of red salsa
- 1 12 oz can of crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 3-4 cups of veggie stock (depending on how much broth you like)
- 2 cans black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
In a large pot heat up the oilve oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and garlic; cook until onion is slightly transparent. Add the bell peppers. Once everything starts to sweat a bit (or the peppers have started to become tender) add the smoked paprika. Cook for about another minute or so. Add the sweet potatoes and salt and pepper to your taste. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Add the tomato past salsa and fire roasted tomatoes and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add the veggie stock, bring to boil. Once boiling reduce heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Add the black eyed peas and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve by itself or over some rice for a delicious, hearty meal.