We made some soup the other day. It was smokey, earthy, and delicious.
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 heaping (or 2) tsp smoked pepper
- 1 heaping (or 2) tsp paprika
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 small shallots diced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic minced
- 3-4 small carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup merlot (or other earthy red)
- 12-14 large tomatoes cored and cut into slices
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup of fresh cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large pot to medium heat. Melt the butter and add the onions, shallots, garlic, carrots, paprika, and smoked pepper. Cook until carrots are soft and onions are translucent. Add the red wine, bring to a boil, and simmer until the wine has reduced completely. Add the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are fully cooked and can easily be blended, about 20mins. Lower the heat. Using an immersion blender (or food processor/standing blender) blend the tomatoes and other veggies. Add the fresh herbs (cilantro and thyme), cook for a few more minutes, add salt and pepper to your taste preference. Serve.